In the United States he’s earned comparisons to the likes of Storm Cat, Northern Dancer and Mr Prospector. In Australia, he’s made a reputation as a genuine G1 stallion and a sire of sires. His colts have won Derbies and Golden Slippers and plenty in between. His fillies have won a Preakness, an Oaks, a Guineas and a Breeders’ Cup. His best son Astern is hailed as the best-bred stallion on Darley’s US roster. His last Australian-sired crop being offered in 2020.
More than 900 individual winners and closing in on 140 Stakes winners, with 25 at G1. Other achievements include:
- His first Australian crop included 10 Group horses, among them the Golden Slipper winner Vancouver;
- His seven G1 winners in a single year is matched in the US by only Mr Prospector and none has improved on his 16 G1 winners sired since 2016;
- Only the legendary stallions Storm Cat and Northern Dancer have bettered his feat of eight million-dollar yearlings in a year.
- The sire of the champion fillies Rachel Alexandra and Songbird;
- Yearlings by his best son worldwide, Astern, have made up to $725,000 this year.
Medaglia d’Oro has 13 yearlings catalogued at the Inlgis Easter sale, among them:
Lot 389 - Colt by Medaglia d'Oro x Comical Smile
A half-sister to G1 winner and sire Northern Meteor and the dam of five winners including Smart Missile, Surge Ahead and Kiss From A Rose. Offered by Gooree Park.
Lot 392 - Colt by Medaglia d'Oro x Condessar (Xaar)
From the dam of Yankee Rose, Australia’s Champion 2YO filly of 2015-16 and Champion 3YO filly of 2016-17 and of three other winners. Offered by Rosemont Stud.