A dual hemisphere sire, Astern is not only the highest-rated son anywhere in the world of one of North America’s most prolific stallions, Medaglia d’Oro, but also his highest-rated sprinter, and arguably the best-bred stallion on Darley’s American roster at Jonabell.
Pedigree and performance:
- By Medaglia d'Oro, sire of 138 Stakes winners.
- Out of Essaouira, a juvenile winner on debut by six lengths at Moonee Valley who has also produced G1 winner Alizee.
- Retired with a Timeform rating of 126, the highest figure achieved by any son of Medaglia d’Oro.
- Joined Darley stallions Epaulette (2012), Hallowed Crown (2014), Exosphere (2015) and Exceed And Excel's Bivouac (2019) as winners of the Golden Rose, in which Astern achieved the highest winning rating to date.
- 18 first-crop yearlings sold at Magic Millions on the Gold Coast in 2020 at a clearance rate of 95 per cent and a top price of $725,000.
At Inglis Classic, 20 yearlings catalogued, including:
- Lot 163 (colt): from Girls Night Out, a half-sister to dual G1 winner He’s No Pie Eater. From the family of Redoute’s Choice, Hurricane Sky, Shoals etc, offered by Sledmere Stud.
- Lot 223 (filly): from Listed winner Key Bar Nights, dam of Stakes winner Barbed, consigned by Davali Thoroughbreds.
- Lot 417 (colt): from proven producer Ringstrasse, a three-quarter sister to Snitzel, consigned by Glastonbury Farms.
To see a full list of yearlings catalogued at 2020 Inglis Classic by Astern, click here.